Saturday, May 23, 2009

Curry Anything.


So tonight we realized we needed to go to the store for some veggies and other foods. Unfortunately, we realized this when there wasn't enough time to get ready and get there with any time to shop.

I looked high and low in my cupboards and fridge to see what I could scrounge together. I thought maybe I could make a curry. I wished I had some canned tomatoes...oh wait I had salsa! That's got tomatoes! I had a can of garbanzo beans, brown minute rice, plain yogurt, lemon juice, hot sauce, chicken, and lots of spices. So I found a great site that gave overal curry basics. It said:

So, there you have it — a typical "curry" sauce is just (1) onion, garlic, ginger and chiles that have been chopped and fried (2) with spices mixed in and then (3) some mushed tomatoes added.

Indian food is delicious, but don't let it intimidate you — from Rogan Josh (some cardamom) to Madras (lots of chile) to Vindaloo (vinegar and lots of chile) to Tikka Masala (lemon juice and more turmeric), most Indian dishes you're familiar with are just nuanced variants on the above.


This is the site

So I decided the jalapenos in the salsa would work for chilis and my hot sauce was made from chilis, so that would work. I had dry onions also. I told Shon dinner would either be really good or gross and prayed it would be good.

I thawed 2 chicken breasts. Cut them in small pieces. Stir fried them in some oil. Added 6T dry onions. That equals one onion. Then I added my spices. Garlic, curry, paprika, red pepper flakes, cumin, cayenne pepper, ground coriander, salt, and a pinch of ginger powder. I didn't measure these, I just added what looked good. I mostly just dusted some over everything except the ginger, I really don't like it and I just added a smidge, but you could really taste and smell it. Go easy on the hot ones unless you really like it hot. I added the rinsed can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas). I opened a can of chicken broth and added some till it was wet but not soupy in there. Stir every so often till the chicken is done. Add 1T lemon juice. Add salsa. I probably added at least a cup, but maybe more. I just added till it looked like the right ratio for my taste. Once it's all mixed and heated through you are done. Serve over rice. Top with a dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle parsely over the top. I added a little squirt of Sriratcha which is the hot sauce with the rooster on it. Shon and I both liked it. I would make it again. We served it with mixed veggies on the side.

Please forgive my terrible plate job. We both were starving and hadn't eaten all day.

2 comments: